Diatoms: Interesting Facts
Disney's The Nutcracker and the Four Realms Girls 4-10 Sugarplum Fairy Nightgown & Matching Doll ...
She and her doll BFF will love dancing the night away like the Sugarplum Fairy with this girls' nightgown and doll nightgown inspired by Disney's The Nutcracker and the Four Realms. In purple.
Women's Cuddl Duds® Far-Infrared Pajama Tank & Pajama Boxer Set
Featuring far-infrared technology with infused ceramic fibers, this women's Cuddl Duds pajama set helps promote a deep and restful sleep.
Diatoms are tiny single-celled organisms that make up diatomaceous earth. They were first discovered in 1702 by Anton van Leeuwenhoek and for hundreds of years these microscopic creatures have been studied and analyzed. Richard B. Hoover contributed to this research by travelling the world, studying diatoms and collecting new species. In a June 1979 Edition of National Geographic, he published his exciting findings on these extraordinary organisms.
Below are some of the most exciting and intriguing findings regarding diatoms:
- While studying a diatom collection in Belgium, that had been dried on paper in 1834, Richard B. Hoover was shocked to find that after adding water to a slide, the diatoms were revived and began to swim around… after nearly 150 years!
- More than twenty-five thousand species of diatoms have been discovered, none of which have the same shell.
- Diatoms exist in large numbers in most bodies of water throughout the world. In fact, just one liter of seawater can contain as many as ten million diatoms!
- The greatest numbers of diatoms exist in cold oceans.
- Diatoms can thrive wherever there is light, water, carbon dioxide, and nutrients. In some cases diatoms can even live out of the water – in moist conditions, they are able to live in topsoil, or attached to moss, tree trunks and even brick walls.
- Diatoms are very resilient and can endure lengthy droughts.
- Diatoms vary greatly in size, with the largest measuring only one millimeter across.
- A species of diatom found on Cape Cod, known as Hantzschia virgata, bury themselves in the sand when the tide is in. Just after the tide goes out, the diatoms glide to the surface in order to sunbathe. Their timing is impeccable, as they know precisely when to bury themselves back in to the sand, retreating just moments before the tide returns. In fact, it was discovered that even after keeping these diatoms for weeks in a laboratory their timing remained constant. They continued to dig in and out of the sand with such amazing accuracy that their actions could be used to predict the tide!
- Diatoms are impressive shell builders. They transform dissolved silicon into a silica almost identical to the gemstone opal.
- Diatoms contribute enormous amounts of oxygen to our atmosphere.
- Huge numbers of diatoms die and sink to the bottom of river, lake and ocean beds. In some areas, sea floors can be covered in a layer as deep as 984 feet (300 meters)! Over many years these layers of dead diatoms fossilize and become rich deposits of diatomaceous earth, or diatomite.
ScentWorx Amber Driftwood Body Lotion
The ultimate fragrance experience that delivers smooth, soft & nourished skin, ScentWorx Amber Driftwood Body Lotion will soothe and moisturize your skin with an amazing combination of Golden Amber blended with Coastal Woods and Creamy Musk. Our lightweight body lotion enriched with nourishing sh...
Womens Big & Tall Outerwear, | Kohl's
Enjoy free shipping and easy returns every day at Kohl's. Find great deals on Womens Big & Tall Outerwear at Kohl's today!
Women's Seven7 Everyday Knit Denim Leggings
Absolutely chic. You'll look stunning in these women's everyday knit leggings from Seven7 that move with your every move.
Juniors FLX Bottoms, Clothing | Kohl's
Enjoy free shipping and easy returns every day at Kohl's. Find great deals on Juniors FLX Bottoms at Kohl's today!
Animal Adventure Squeeze with Love Super Puffed Plush Stud Muffins Jumbo Alligator
Squeeze with Love is the ultra-soft, totally squeezable plush toy line that your child will simply fall in love with!
Women's Simply Vera Vera Wang Seamed Pull-On Crop Jeans
Elevated casual. These women's Simply Vera Vera Wang crop jeans will take your look to the next level.
Delsey Cruise 2.0 Hardside Spinner Luggage
Get the most out of your luggage with this durable, smooth gliding Delsey Cruise 2.0 Hardside Spinner Luggage.
Sonoma Goods For Life® Indoor/Outdoor Throw Pillow
This Sonoma throw pillow is fade resistant with beautifully printed fabric!
Koltov Joy Large Satchel Bag
Finish off your chic style with this Koltov Joy large satchel bag.