Importance of Value Education
Seven sins: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character,commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics without principle.
Just in case you believe that great social problems are beyond your scope, consider this story: God said to me: Your task is to build a better world. I answered: How can I do that? The world is such a large, vast place, so complicated now, and I am so small and useless. There nothing I can do. But God in his great wisdom said: Just build a better you.
The moral values present a true perspective of the development of any society or nation. They tell us to what extent a society or nation has developed itself. Values are virtues, ideals and qualities on which actions and beliefs are based. Values are guiding principles that shape our world outlook, attitudes and conduct. Values however are either innate or acquired. Innate values are our inborn divine virtues such as love, peace, happiness, mercy and compassion as well as the positive moral qualities such as respect, humility, tolerance, responsibility, cooperation, honesty and simplicity.
Acquired values are those external values adopted at your “place of birth” or “place of growth” and
are influenced by the immediate environment. Examples of acquired values are one’s mode of dress, the way you bless, cultural customs, traditions, habits and tendencies.
The main causes of moral degeneration are:
– Lack of respect for the sanctity of human life.
– Breakdown of parental control of children in families
– Lack of respect for authority, seen through the brazen breaking of the law and
Total disregard for rules and regulations
– Crime and corruption
– Abuse of alcohol and drugs
– Abuse of women and children, and other vulnerable members of society.
– Lack of respect for other people and property.
To solve all these type problems it is necessary to know the main causes of the above problems. We know today children are tomorrow’s citizens. If we give good education to the present day children, the future of the next generations will be well. My opinion education is the solution for all types of the problems. Now we are living in the modern century. If we use science and technology in the proper way it is not difficult for us to solve all the problems of the non-moral and value things.The main object of the study is to inculcate moral and value based education in schools and colleges and to know the attitude of intermediate students towards moral values. Gandhiji advised the inmates of Sabarmati Ashram on the practice of the following values in their day-
5. Manual work
9. Equality of religion
10. Removal of untouchability
11. Control of palate
Important life goals and personal characteristics:
Life goals and Personal characteristics are very necessary for all types of persons in the society.
– A world at peace (free of war and conflict)
– Freedom (independence, free choice)
– Wisdom (a mature understanding of life)
– Happiness (contentedness)
– An exciting life (a stimulating, active life)
– Equality (brotherhood, equal opportunity for all)
– A comfortable life (a prosperous life)
– Self-respect (self-esteem, feeling good about yourself)
– Salvation (religiously saved, eternal life)
– Mature love (sexual & spiritual intimacy)
– Social recognition (respect, admiration)
– A sense of accomplishment (I’ve made a lasting contribution)
– Family security (taking care of loved ones)
– True friendship (close companionship)
– A world of beauty (beauty of nature and the arts)
– Inner harmony (freedom from inner conflict)
– Pleasure (an enjoyable, leisurely life)
– National security (protection from attack)
– Self-controlled (thinks first, restrained, self-disciplined)
– Honest (sincere, truthful, disclosing)
– Loving (affectionate, tender, caring)
– Ambitious (hard working, aspiring)
– Cheerful (lighthearted, joyful)
– Responsible (dependable, reliable)
– Independent (self-reliant, sufficient)
– Broad-minded (open-minded, able to see other viewpoints)
– Polite (courteous, well mannered)
– Forgiving (willing to pardon others)
– Intellectual (intelligent, reflective, knowledgeable)
– Helpful (working for the welfare of others)
– Obedient (dutiful, respectful)
– Capable (competent, effective, skillful)
– Logical (consistent, rational, aware of reality)
– Clean (neat, tidy)
– Imaginative (daring, creative)
– Courageous (standing up for your beliefs, strong)
Hogan (1973) believes that moral behavior is determined by five factors: (1) Socialization: becoming aware as a child of society’s and parents’ rules of conduct for being good. (2) Moral
judgment: learning to think reasonably about our own ethics and deliberately deciding on our own
moral standards. (3) Moral feelings: the internalization of our moral beliefs to the degree that we feel shame and guilt when we fail to do what we “should.” (4) Empathy: the awareness of other people’s situation, feelings, and needs so that one is compelled to help those in need. (5) Confidence and knowledge: knowing the steps involved in helping others and believing that one is responsible for and capable of helping.
Today we facing so many problems like terrorism, poverty and population problem. It is necessary to inculcate moral values in curriculum. Education is an effective weapon. Education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it is his handsand at whom it is aimed. (Joseph Stalin)
Due to liberalization, industrialization and globalization rapid changes are occurring in almost all social sciences. The value possessed and their attitudes according to the changes should be known up to date vast changes are occurring in the education. So called philosophical foundations of India are declining day to day with the country in a state of social turbulence, the goals and functions of formal education need to be reassessed and updated. Through education we can change the world.
– By giving a place for moral values in the curriculum.
– Moral values can be explained through stories and illustrations.
– Through poetry, novel and stories we can inculcate moral values in the students.
– Role play of a good story in the lesson.
– Educate students through posters, advertisements and dramatizations; those are all a part
in the curriculum.
– By introducing a course on moral values as a part of its Master Degree in Developmental
– Giving course training to students to develop moral values in the society.
– By educating citizen through direct contact by setting up local offices across the religion.
– First of all educate women in the society. Mother is the first teacher. Motivate every woman
to know about moral values through special course like “Gandhian Studies”.
“IF WEALTH IS LOST NOTHING IS LOST”
“IF HEALTH IS LOST SOMETHING IS LOST”
“IF CHARACTER IS LOST EVERYTHING IS LOST”
BEST OF ALL THINGS IS CHARACTER – FATHER OF INDIAN NATION MAHATMA GANDHI
Womens Sonoma Goods For Life Fall 2in - 2 3/4in Boots - Shoes | Kohl's
Enjoy free shipping and easy returns every day at Kohl's. Find great deals on Womens Sonoma Goods For Life Fall 2in - 2 3/4in Boots at Kohl's today!