Tips For Sending Your Child to Kindergarten
Sending your child to kindergarten for the first time can be a scary thing for both of you. Even though you started preparing for this day way in advance the closer it gets the more nervous you become. Sending your child to school for the first time means dealing with separation anxiety but there are a few things that you can do to make this transition go more smoothly.
Tips for sending your child to kindergarten:
- Talk to your child about school and why it would be something they can enjoy. Explain that it is a place where they can meet other kids and become friends.
- Go shopping for school supplies and clothes together to help get your child excited about going to school for the first time.
- Visit the school a few days in advance and walk around. This will help your child to be a little familiar with the school so it will not seem as scary the first day.
- Go to the orientation so your child can meet the teacher and see their classroom.
- Encourage your child to talk to the other kids and try to make new friends.
- When you take your child to school on the first day you can walk with him or her to the front door but say your goodby there. It is never a good idea to go into the classroom because this makes it harder for you to leave.
When you pick your child up at the end of the day, make sure you set some some free time to talk to them about their day. Let them tell you all about their experience and how it made them feel. It is important to do this everyday because it will help to keep them interested in school. This will also help you know right away if your child is having problems so you can deal with them quickly.